The site on which the castle stands was first documented in 1196.
In the middle ages the feudal Lords, the Marquesses of Malaspina, are mentioned by the divine poet, Dante Alighieri in his "Purgatory" from the Divine Comedy thanking them for their hospitality during a visit.
The grounds and the castle then passed as a wedding gift from Violante Malaspina into the hands of the Counts of Lodrone who lived there until 1530.
The Castello d'Orsara in XI sec.
The castle and the estates than changed hands many times with the passing of the centuries bringing with it many alterations to both the castle itself and the vines.